The Atari Video Computer System, later called the Atari 2600 technically wasn't the first video game console, but it was is the first to popularize plug in cartridge gaming. Atari ruled the day until the release of the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in 1985. Most Atari games featured basic levels which increased in difficulty the farther along you went.
Atari's programmers churned out plenty of arcade classics, new adventure games, sports games and some massive duds. I'm looking at you E.T. Lets flash back to some classic games. While I started out with 10, I moved to 25.
1. River Raid- This top down scrolling shooter lets the player fly a plane as it takes out various targets. Make sure you watch your fuel.
2. Pitfall- This adventure classic lets players guide Pitfall Harry over gators, rolling logs and scorpions.
3. Jungle Hunt- Another adventure classic that features your character swinging from vines, swimming and knifing crocodiles and saving a damsel in distress.
4. Boxing- My favorite sports game, players try to maneuver to punch each other in the face.
5. Outlaw- Players choose a cowboy and various different levels, shooting their guns in an attempt to knock the other player down with a shot. Ricochet shot, check.
6. Pole Position- The first true auto racing game, Pole Position allows players to drive a formula 1 race car through a qualifying lap and then circuits with increasing difficulty.
7. Kaboom!- This game featured a "mad bomber" dropping bombs which you had to catch in your three buckets. It required the paddle controllers which for some reason made it more cool. I have fond memories playing this at my friends house.
8. Rampage- With George, Lizzie and Ralph, a gorilla, giant lizard and werewolf respectively, players go up building smashing everything in sight with the goal of bringing them down. Destroy everything was the motto, and hey, you could even eat the humans.
9. Defender- This spaceship flying game allowed players to scroll both left and right while taking out alien invaders and protecting astronauts.
10. Robot Tank- A 3-D first person shooter, your tank was equipped with a radar to track enemies. The weather and time of day changed which was also ahead of its time.
11. Asteroids- This uber popular arcade game was an easy crossover to Atari. While manning your triangle ship, the player blasts asteroids as they come in increasingly more difficult waves.
13. Pac Man
15. Space Invaders
17. Donkey Kong
18. Missile Command
19. Mario Bros
22. Burger Time
23. Ice Hockey
24. Pitfall 2
25. Keystone Kapers